Thursday, May 1, 2014

Cannot Open Project in TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 5

Because of Microsoft no longer supporting Windows XP, I recently built a new Windows 8.1 computer and am in the process of moving software and files to the new computer.

I edit and encode video files using a program from Pegasys entitled TMGEnc Video Mastering Works 5.  I had no problem loading and running this software on my new Windows 8.1 computer.  However when I tried to open certain Video Mastering Works 5 projects on the new computer an error message was displayed stating that "This file is not a project file generated by TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 5".  Below is a screen image that I captured of the pop-up error window:


I was perplexed but did find a solution.  After loading the software on my new computer I noticed that whenever I ran it I would always be shown an error message about problems related to Apple QuickTime.  I always ignored this message because I did not think I worked with files related to QuickTime.  I had not yet loaded QuickTime yet on my computer (in fact I did not plan on loading it ever as I really never used it on my old computer.....or so I thought).  However after researching the problem and determining which files were causing my projects to display the above error message, I became suspicious that I needed to load QuickTime.  Why did I have this suspicion?  Because on the "problem" video files I saw that they had Quicktime related parameters when I used MediaInfo to display technical and tag data related to these files.

My Solution


I loaded Apple QuickTime (as documented in a previous post on this blog) and I was able to now open all of my projects without any problems and without displaying the "This file is not a project file generated by TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 5".

No comments:

Post a Comment